Water damage to residential buildings occurs more often than we would like to think. It is almost inevitable that you will experience water damage at least once while owning or renting a residential building. When situations like a broken pipe, a leaky ceiling, or bathroom flood occur the best way to resolve the problem is to call in professionals. For the most part residential water damage is evident and easy to recognize but sometimes it can be unforeseen.
For example, San Diego residential water damage can occur even before the building construction has finished. If appropriate methods and measures are not taken to properly seal vulnerable building material during a wet season, a building can take on the beginning phases of water damage. The most dangerous part of undiscovered water damage and untreated water damage is that it becomes an incubator for toxic mold growth and deterioration of building infrastructure. Mold left untreated becomes more toxic and widespread posing huge health risks and costly repair expenses.
What to look for. Water damage is not always isolated to one area, especially when you do not know the origin of its onset. Water damage should not be taken lightly. In best interest of your property and health of the people working inside professionals should be contacted.
The six following are areas are commonly infected by water damage along with the EPA’s protocols for water damage control. As San Diego’s leading water damage and flood restoration company, we these types of flood clean up and dry downs are part of our everyday business.
- Carpeting & backing– dry within 24-48 hours to avoid mold growth and contamination
- Upholstered Furniture– remove water with extraction vacuum. Accelerate the drying process by using dehumidifiers, fans, and or heaters
- Ceiling tiles– discard and replace damaged tiles.
- Cellulose insulation– discard and replaced damaged insulation.
- Concrete or cinder block surfaces– remove water with water extraction vacuum and accelerate drying process with dehumidifiers, fans, and/or heaters.
- Wallboard (Drywall and gypsum board)– may be dried if there is no obvious swelling and seams remain intact. If not, remove, discard, and replace. Ventilate wall cavity, if possible to prevent mold growth and rotting of infrastructure.
Can’t I just clean up the water damage myself? Depending on the size and expanse of the water damage, you may be able to treat the damage yourself. Although we recommend you call us for a complimentary inspection.
Water damage can be very tricky.
You may only see damage to your building’s ceiling tiles but the trained eye of our water damage restoration specialists can see much more.
When water damage goes left untreated mold and toxic spores are formed and become hazardous to the people in the workspace.
Also, untreated water damage jeopardizes the stability of your building’s structure. Rotting wood beams and frames are recipes for disaster.
Give us a call at (858) 495-9133 at Gold Coast Flood Restoration or contact us today if you think your residential property may be suffering from water damage.